Northern Ireland Opera is an opera company unlike any other. At the heart of the country’s cultural life, we bring to the stage innovative new productions of the highest artistic quality, reflecting the people, history and landscape of the area. We champion the amazing creative artists born on the island of Ireland, and support the most promising young opera talent by providing opportunities to perform in our productions.
At the core of Northern Ireland Opera’s mission is the belief that people of all ages and from all backgrounds are entitled to experience the heart pumping drama, the spell-binding designs and mesmerising live music that in combination makes opera ‘the total art form’.
“I believe in opera; that it is something young people would love if they had a chance to hear it”
Since 2010 we have successfully designed an inspiring and inclusive portfolio of education and outreach activities. We have established relationships with educators throughout the province, delivering opera workshops in preparation for new audiences coming to see our fully staged professional productions. We have created outreach programmes to bring music and theatre to some of the most vulnerable people in Northern Ireland, including disadvantaged teenagers, sick children in hospital and communities in areas of social & economic deprivation. We have worked passionately in partnership with local arts organisations and opera industry experts to create enriching projects & recitals that support our creative landscape, igniting every participant’s imagination.
Previous projects include:
- The world premiere of a newly commissioned community opera, ‘The Belfast Opera’
- After-school and summer scheme music workshops with partner organisation Morton Community Centre in Belfast
- ‘OperaQuest’ funded by The Prince’s Foundation for Children and the Arts
- ‘Little Lullabies’ music sessions at the world’s first ‘Baby Day’ in Belfast
- ‘Wilde Music’ as part of the Derry-Londonderry City of Culture celebrations
- School workshops in Dublin around the company’s first tour to the city with Humperdinck’s family opera Hansel and Gretel
There are exciting opportunities for everyone to engage with Northern Ireland Opera.
To discover & discuss a project with Northern Ireland Opera’s Education & Outreach initiatives, please contact us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)28 9027 7734.
“Thank you again for your wonderful workshop today! Your ideas were so innovative and really got the best out of the children who aren’t normally the most creative! They thoroughly enjoyed it and sang the whole way home from the opera house!”
Teacher Testimonial, OperaQuest 2013